The Storehouse in Hendersonville, NC
The Storehouse is a Christ-centered ministry established for the purpose of providing food and life’s most basic necessities for those in need in Henderson County. In our work here, mercy and grace are our guiding rules. We believe that, “In as much as you have done into the least of these you have done also unto me” (Matthew 25:40).
We gladly receive all those sent across our path, just as they are, with kindness and without judgment. We respect the dignity of all who come to us and strive to show them God’s love. We perceive Jesus in each of his creations by trying always to be mindful to entertain strangers. For by doing so, some people have entertained angels without knowing it (Hebrews 13:2).
Our main project is an ongoing program to feed the hungry in Henderson County. This program provides an assortment of dry groceries. We also try to provide cleaning, hygiene, personal care items and some over-the-counter medications, none of which are covered by food stamps. The food program currently feeds 225-250 families per month. We are constantly receiving new referrals from other agencies in our community. We serve people and families of all age ranges. The Storehouse does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, ethnic origin, or religious affiliation.
The Storehouse is staffed by two part-time paid employees and over fifty trained volunteers. We are open to serve clients Wednesday through Friday from 9am to 2pm. In 2013 we distributed over 265,000 lbs. of food and hygiene products. In 2013 the Blessings in Boxes program provided Christmas presents and clothes for 957 children. In 2014 we expect that number to exceed 1400 children. We have a full calendar of event fundraisers each year including such events as the Pancake Breakfast, Dine and Donate, 5K Walk/Run and an annual Golf Tournament.
At present our monthly food expenses are $5000.00 +/- per month, with nearly $5000 in operating expenses. Our goals for this ongoing program are: to be able to serve all who are sent to us and to supply high quality, nutritional foods consistently. The Storehouse is staffed wholly by volunteers. All services are provided are at no charge.
Details about The Storehouse operations
- Started in May of 2000, 16 years old
- Incorporated in 2004, 501 C 3
- Distributed 265,000 pounds of food last year
- 2 paid employees with gross compensation of $20.6K, 50 volunteers
- Provided Christmas presents to 957 children last year (multiple gifts to each child)
- 84% efficiency ratio with bulk cost of food $0.18/lb.
- Clothing Closet provides coats and blankets to clients, some of which are homeless and primary use of coats is needed for survival
- Faith based organization but clients served based on need with no screening of religion
- Each year we are able to distribute food and hygiene products to so many in need. In 2016 we distributed 7247 boxes (serving 1774 families, 5046 people). So far in 2017 we have distributed 6765 pounds of products to our local residents!
- We currently have 119 volunteers, contributing 394 hours so far in 2017
- Board of Directors provide oversight of non-profit
- Clients must have referrals from qualifying agency, pastor
- Client data input into Charity Tracker, which is accessible to other non-profits
- Clients must complete budgeting class to have assistance over 6 months
- Clients should be self-sustaining after 12 months unless senior citizens or special circumstances approved by Executive Director
- Tenured Executive Director able to discern true client needs